MICHAEL DES BARRES 1984! - 'CHEQUERED PAST' & MY BIG FIGHT AT THE ROXY - THE SHEER HORROR!

Greetings one and all. Some of you probably remember that thru the years I've shared some great concert stories and how lucky I feel to have witnessed them. This is the first time sharing this story but first let's introduce Chequered Past. They were a short-lived supergroup fronted by Michael Des Barres and included members of Blondie and Sex Pistols. Formed in '82 they were originally just a live band and when I saw them at the Roxy that year, they opened up with a version of Go-Go's "Vacation." I remember MDB sang the shit out of it and I was front center on the floor. It had been two years since I had first seen him at John Anson Ford and I was more than a little excited about it. A couple songs in they did Bullfighter from his solo album and I was rallying everyone around me at the front cheering and raising fists. My girlfriend suddenly got very jealous of this and a full on verbal fight to the death argument ensued. It was so bad the argument spilled out into the sidewalk, I missed most of the show and while I've never hit a woman in my life, I think I might have that night....The Horror!!

“Everybody always asks, how can a Blondie, a Sex Pistol, an offspring of Soupy, and a Detective come together and play music?’ And it just occurred to me this morning that the common thread that each guy has is power, energy, excess, strength and drama. All our attitudes are the same. The manifestations of our attitudes may appear to be different, but the core of the group is that we like to deal in power; strength." - MDB
THE HORROR!!